Saturday, October 11, 2014

Harder Than the Ice-Bucket Challenge

Barb Polan
Barb’s Recovery
Sep 30 / 2014

Over the summer, when the ice-bucket challenge was at its peak, I was a bit offended that no one challenged ME. I knew lots of people who participated because I saw the evidence on FB. And then, after being drenched, the friend or relative would call out a couple/three others they were challenging. I watched each one wondering if FINALLY someone would say my name.

It didn't happen.

Eventually, I caught on - people thought it would be too hard for me to lift the bucket over my head to dump it. Nonsense, some people had someone else dump it on them (the Pats) or had a contraption dump it (Bill Gates). Even one-handed, I thought I could hoist it up myself and succeed.  I could have gotten it done, easily enough.

What I can do one-handed is impressive:
  • I dress myself.
  • I can (but  usually don't) make my bed.
  • I open pill bottles to take 4 meds in the morning. Yes, I leave the child-proof caps only slightly turned to close (also one-handed).
  • I can make a pb and j.
  • I open cans with one of those old manual crank can openers.
  • I fold clothes well enough to put in drawers and on shelves. Nope, no hangers.
  • I type fast enough to not drive me crazy.
  • I drive.
  • I write checks.
  • I used a push-broom to sweep the asphalt part of the driveway yesterday.
  • I vacuum.
  • I use my iPhone for almost everything there: FB, calendar, notepad (for lists of everything)
  • I can replace a roll of toilet paper onto a holder that has the two-piece rod and springy thing inside.
So here's my challenge to you: go ONE day using just one hand. Or just try to do the actions on this list. Simple enough, right? Even easier: get dressed using just one hand. Betcha can't.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment