Saturday, November 23, 2013

My Hand as a Tool

Barb Polan
Barb's Recovery
10th December 2011

Since I had the stroke, I - along with many others, including the OTs who have helped me - have bought into the concept that a hand is a tool and the arm is just a "delivery system" for the hand - putting the hand where it needs to be to work as desired.

Yesterday, though, I read the book "My Last Degree: A Therapist Goes Home After A Stroke," by Rebecca Dutton, an occupational therapist who had two strokes, wrote a book and has become an active, contributing member of the online stroke survivor community. (Rebecca: I hope you don't mind these and the following references to you and your work ).

Rebecca's book changed my view - and my opinion - of my arm:

Since the stroke, I have single-mindedly - along with single-handedly - pursued the awakening of my hand, seeing it as potentially far more functional than my arm. Rebecca's attitude is more along the lines of seeing the functionality of an arm - even a severely limited one.

Her book suggests tasks that an impaired, but somewhat controllable, arm can do. Since reading it, I have carried the following: a pair of flannel pajama pants, my wallet (cloth, so it has some friction), my cane (it has a rubber cushion that gives it LOTS of friction) and a book (Rebecca's) IN MY ARMPIT. It was only the book that caused me trouble; the cover is so slick that it slid out within seconds. Instead of retrying and having the same thing happen (yes, I can be taught, even now), I used my tried-and-true method: holding the book and my cane in the same hand, the book squashed against the cane handle. I save the in-the-shoulder-bag/messenger bag technique only for more fragile items (e.g., my iPad, coffee mugs, lunch dishes, wine glasses, etc.) and the toss-and-retrieve method only for really sturdy items (small garden implements, etc.) To try her approach for the book again, I would put it in something with friction on the outside (maybe a cloth or paper sack - or maybe I'd wrap it in my flannel pajama pants) and tuck it in my armpit again. Obviously, the carrying technique requires the ability to pull my upper arm in against my side, but, despite all that my arm cannot do, it can do that!

Many thanks to Rebecca.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment