Saturday, November 23, 2013

In the Hospital

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Jul 13, 2012

Hospitals are so much fun.  It took me a while to really understand what happened to me.  When I was in the hospital and had been told I had a stroke, I didn’t get it.  I just knew I could barely speak.  I started comparing myself to everyone I knew that had had a stroke, which you sooooo cannot do.  I even compared myself to my dog.  My dog, Cassie, had a stroke a year before I did.  I think I’m the only person in the history of mankind that that has happened to.  I’m so unique! :) 

Anyway, I remember saying “Cassie still has deficits.”  I compared myself to a dog.  Ummmm.  I also asked for the English version of Rosetta Stone.  My dad bought me an iPad for in the hospital and I had gone on the internet and found something by a woman who had a stroke and recovered her speech using Rosetta Stone for the practice of speaking/pronouncing things.  So I asked for it, I had no idea.  It wasn’t for me, but I think it can be useful for some people.  Months later my dad found this hilarious and said to me about asking for the English Rosetta Stone – “you didn’t forget the English language!”  I’m a big fan of Tosh.0 and I was watching it in the hospital one day and Tosh had on an interview that I’ve seen since and was so obviously not real but at the time I thought it was.  My brain was not working right.  Aside from that viewing of Tosh.0 I had on TBS for a month straight.  That was my channel of choice in the hospital.  One of the biggest things I remember is for a long time it was extremely uncomfortable to turn my head.  Not tilt it, just turn it.  I remember being in my hospital bed and trying to look at everyone and it was awful to look to my right or left.  That’s still not a favorite of mine but NOTHING like it used to be.  Ahh, the good old days. :)

See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment