Saturday, November 30, 2013

Embrace #SocialMedia Because It’s Damn good!

Kate Allatt
A Rocky Stroke Recovery
September 5, 2013

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Linked in are FAB!!
It’s no secret that I used my Beating Locked in Syndrome Facebook page as soon as I could move my right thumb and index finger, at the nurses station computer back in May 2010.

Why was it SO amazing?
  1. It gave me access to the big wide world, because all I’d known is The Northern General Hospital in Sheffield for months.
  2. It allowed me to convey my trapped personality on a level playing field, with everyone else, because my Dysarthria & Dysphagia wasn’t evident. So, I wasn’t judged, and the banter flew! (My spelling and grammar took a turn for the stroke worst though!)
  3. It allowed me to compete against myself, which is good ‘cos I’m very competitive! for example, I’d pledge to sit unaided on a bench for 20 minutes or eat 3 petit Filous yoghurts or to twitch an ankle.  I’d invariably do it, so I’d raise the steaks the next day! The encouragement from my online friends spurred me on.
  4. We were able to live out a real soap opera, as Mark and I, had weekly tiffs on my wall!! (Didn’t think to inbox and great entertainment, I’m told!)

But aside from the above look how Facebook is reaching out and supporting just yesterday on my Fighting Strokes Facebook page?
‘My wife Moira suffered a stroke in Jan 2012 resulting in a loss of her right arm, hand and leg.  she was paralysed down her entire right side.  She also suffered Aphasia.  Moira was in hospital for six weeks before being discharged. After 5 months rehab she was deemed to have plateaued and since then has been working on her own to improve. She can now walk very slowly for a short distance but still has no use of her hand. Her speech is improving but still has a long way to go. We discovered Kate Allatt’s book running free, which I have read to her as she cannot read.  It has been an inspiration to us to make a better recovery. 
Any advice would be most welcome 
Pete and Moira’
FS
To all the fighters out there, what help can you give? X



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment