Saturday, November 23, 2013

Culinary Arts

Pamela Hsieh
Rehab Revolution
28 January 2013

By the way, in case any of you were wondering how Anthony’s and my New Year’s Rouxbe compromise has been going, it’s been chugging along swimmingly.

While I do feel like I’m at the grocery store now every other day (if not every day) -- which is actually quite nostalgic for me as that’s what life in Europe was like! -- and kitchen cleaning is of utmost urgency now, I have truly rekindled my love for the culinary arts.

Friday, Anthony and I made Alaskan cod with basa sauce and quinoa. It was soooo good!



























Right now as I type [this was Saturday], we are baking sweet potatoes to make smashed sweet potatoes (just the thought makes me salivate), and we’re prepping our free range chicken breasts from Whole Foods to make chicken with mushroom cream sauce.

The smashed sweet potatoes, by the way, are divine.

Last week, our friends came over and we did a mostly plant-based dinner of Indian cauliflower appetizers, bacon-wrapped dates (our one indulgence), fennel salad, and vegetable “pasta” from Crazy Sexy Kitchen. On our anniversary, I made us some steak with mushroom sauce and gnocchi made from scratch. A few days ago, we made several pizzas from scratch as well.

A veritable veggie medley! Turns out zucchini "pasta" is legit yummy.
Delicious anniversary dinner.


Gnocchi made from scratch.



A surf 'n' turf burrito I recreated from a San Diego restaurant :)


Unfortunately, Anthony wasn't able to pick up the mozzarella di bufala I requested . . . but this one turned out acceptably.


Adventures! Admittedly, some parts of cooking can be a challenge without a sous-chef when you’re part gimpy, but to aid in the efforts, there is some modified cookware available for one-handed cooks. I don’t personally own any, but I know things would be a lot easier if I did!

For your reference, some non-modified kitchen tools I find indespensible are:


Flour sifter. I like this one because my left (affected) hand can just hold it in place as I turn the handle with my right.



Pepper mill. I am a stickler for freshly ground pepper. On that note, don’t skimp on the cheese grater, either -- pre-grated cheese is just subpar, period. (As is any cheese the artificial color orange.)


(Disregard the laptop in the background. Oops.)


Potato masher/potato ricer. It will save you a lot of hot potato burns! (Particularly while making gnocchi.)


Quality blender (e.g., a Vita-mix or a BlendTec). A lot of people don’t understand why someone would invest over $400 in a powerful blender, but the difference is in the smoothie. Mine is a 2 horsepower Vita-mix  5000 that we bought years ago. A 3 horsepower blender will “micronize” food particles to the micron level, which means smoothies will come out truly smooth, and your stomach won’t need to waste energy trying to break down the nutrients. (These are the blenders that some crazy marketers will throw an iPad into!)

I am getting a bit photo-happy . . . it is far too late at night for me to write coherently at this point (and it has been a couple days since I started working on this post), so here is a shot of Anthony prepping the homemade pizza dough, as well as a shot of our scrumptious ricotta pancakes, and I will bid you good night.

I plan to hit Apple to get my video editing off the floor at last this week, so those should start appearing shortly. Apologies!

I would like to note that while it may surprise some of you how indulgent some of these homecooked meals have been, I also do not believe that food should only be made out of necessity and efficiency. Cooking is an art, and food should be savored. Moderation is key, and as long as you are the one putting the meal together, you know exactly what is going into it. Which is far more than one can say about processed or restaurant (particularly -- but not limited to -- fast) foods. I can go into more detail about food and whatnot soon, but for now, I must wish you all sweet dreams!



To our healing,












See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment