Saturday, July 20, 2013

Winnipeg Folk Festival - Day 1 & Sit to Stand Therapy & ...

Dean Reinke
Deans' Stroke Musing
Friday, July 19, 2013


Winnipeg Day 1


Wednesday - Even with our best intentions we didn't get driving until 9am. Jammed 4 bicycles onto the back rack, filled up the huge Thule carrier on top and crammed everything else for 4 people into the back of the Subaru Forrester.

I got the left back seat, great for therapy, alternated between wedging the left hand between the door pillar and the seat in front of me, trying to stop the damnable bicep spasticity. Or  getting the left hand onto the grab bar above the window, I spent 20 minutes failing at that, could not get the fingers open at the same time as I got the hand up to the bar. Finally asked my friend for help, just holding my arm up was enough to get the fingers around the bar. I then spent the next 45 minutes swinging my elbow to the left and just holding it there. And clasping the bar so my hand didn't fall off. No rest on any car trip for me. 5 hours to the Canada border, no problems entering. Another 2.5 hours to the Birds Hill Provincial Park where the camping and concerts are. We are in the quiet campground as compared to the festival campground where  music and drumming go all night. We meet our Maine friend who is already there, with 6 live lobsters for dinner tonight.


Sit to Stand Therapy - Winnipeg


You can only have foldable chairs that are only 24 inches high, called backpack chairs. This means that the front edge of the chair is only 8-9 inches off the ground.gLike this RIO backpack chair:

Normal people just put both their hands on the armrests and pull/push themselves to an upright position and start walking. With my left arm spasticity I have a different method, it involves using just my right arm to pull my butt forward until the right butt cheek is on the front bar, then either kick my left foot underneath me with my right foot or pull it under with my right hand. Reach under my butt with my right hand to push up with, don't use the right arm rest, that tips the chair.  Then  propel myself upwards mainly with my right leg.  I used to short circuit this in past years my having one of my friends just yank me upwards. Then I stand in position for a minute or two until my legs feel uncramped from all the sitting.    I do this dozens of times every day. Notice the attached pillow, I would sleep in it for some of the more boring concerts.

See Other Articles - Winnipeg Folk Festival:
Sensation Stroke Therapy - Winnipeg Folk Festival 
Winnipeg Folk Festival - Day-1 
Winnipeg Day 2 
Altered Reality Stroke Therapy - Winnipeg Folk Festival 
Walking Stroke Therapy - Winnipeg Folk Festival 
Jumping As Stroke Therapy - Winnipeg Folk Festival 
Action Observation - Walking at Winnipeg Folk Festival 
Tarp Run/Shuffle - Winnipeg Folk Festival
From Deans' Stroke Musing

2 comments:

  1. Dean, you gotta love trying to be like everyone else. I imagine they would give you an exemption from the chair if you asked but then you'd be looking down at everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean, please be careful: my right knee is suffering (miniscus tear and arthritis are the worst offenders) from all my sit-to-stands from very low beach chairs, along with 4 years of additional wear and tear. Of course, years of daily running pre-stroke probably contributed too. Be careful anyway.

    ReplyDelete