Saturday, December 01, 2012

Eclectic: Diane - Do It Yourself Catheterization: Learning by The Seat of My Pants

Diane - The Pink House OTC
When someone once told me that I would "make a good nurse", I tell you, I nearly laughed out loud.

For certainly, nursing not the type of work I  am cut out for as I will be the first to admit that I am extremely squeamish about such things as bodily functions. Case in point: one day, last month, when Bob had a particularly nasty bowel movement, I ended up fleeing out the back door, dropping to my knees, gasping for breath and trying not to puke all over the wheelchair ramp. You'd think I'd have gotten used to this by now. But alas, I have not.

Finally that day, I collected myself and walked back into the house where the smell alone sent me flying back out the door, all the while screeching at the top of my lungs, "I'm sorry, sweetheart! But I cannot do this!!!"  There I sat outside, gulping down the fresh air considering my options which were, um, call 911 and ask them if someone please could come over and clean up my husband because, lord almighty, I just can't do it.... Or leave him lying in that putrid mess for all of eternity... Or get in the car and just drive away from the horror of it all... Or, get a grip, Diane, go back in there and face it like a man--er face it like a nurse! Which is exactly what I had to do, and it wasn't pretty ....

See the full article Do It Yourself Catheterization: Learning by The Seat of My Pants
                          in The Pink House On The Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment