Saturday, December 15, 2012

Article: National Stroke Association - Lenice Hogan

Lenice Hogan, 46, has won the identity crisis facing many stroke survivors who are progressing through recovery. “I spent two years as a victim,” says Hogan, “but have definitely moved to survivor.”

Hogan is a survivor of not one stroke, but three, all at young ages. She survived hemorrhagic strokes at the ages of 26, 38 and 39. Only the third was actually recognized as stroke — the first two went undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

Hogan’s strokes left her with challenges such as leg weakness, difficulty swallowing, difficulty recalling words and balance issues. They also left her in denial, grief and fear.

It was her three children who made her decide to make the shift from victim to survivor. “Denial and fear was not allowing me to embrace life,” she says, “I wanted to be the best mom I could be and live my life for the time I have left.”

See the full article Faces of Stroke - Lenice Hogan in National Stroke Association.

Face of Stroke Ambassador: Lenice Hogan


No comments:

Post a Comment