Saturday, December 22, 2012

Article: Stroke Assoc. (UK) - All I Want For Christmas ...

Stroke Association UK

Chris Clark, UK Director

One in three stroke survivors have aphasia. Stroke survivors who have aphasia find it difficult to speak, read and write.  Chris Clark, UK Director, Life After Stroke Services, shares his understanding of the impact of aphasia.



Our easy guide explains how to communicate better with stroke survivors who have aphasia.


Amber Garland

Amber Garland, 22, has aphasia as a result of a stroke. Amber explains: “Three years ago, I woke up and I had no speech at all. I could not swallow well and pointed to everything. I nodded but I did not understand."
  • I have had a stroke and I got aphasia.
  • Three years ago, I woke up and I had no speech at all.
  • I could not swallow well and pointed to everything.
  • I learnt to sing “somewhere over the rainbow” and say ‘hello’
  • I found it hard to say “No” but “Yes” was ok.
  • I found reading, writing and gestures difficult.
  • I nodded but I didn’t understand.
  • I was most scared at night, when I was alone.
  • I worried about not getting better.
  • I used to shout at my mum and stomp off - this is aphasia…
Now:
  • I am not like before
  • Talking and reading newspaper headlines helps.
  • Talking to people one to one helps.
  • I use my finger, and underline words
I wish people understood:
  • Finishing my sentences is annoying
  • Talking too fast is really annoying
  • Not checking I understand them is really annoying
Aphasia has changed my life:
  • Because of my aphasia I could not complete my studies at university
  • Because of my aphasia my social life is affected
  • Because of my aphasia I still need support.
  • Despite my aphasia, I am rebuilding my life (after three years of therapy)
  • The Stroke Association has helped build my confidence to use the communication I have got.
Despite amazing progress, Amber still wishes people understood her better when she speaks. Watch Amber’s story here:




Stroke Survivors With Aphasia Shared Their Wishes for Christmas

Almost 800 stroke survivors with aphasia shared their wishes for Christmas since their stroke. You can see the results of the survey here, and you can watch a video of some of the respondents below:





Loneliness and Isolation

We know that aphasia does not have to mean loneliness and isolation. We know the right support can help. Watch a video of Cuckfield Aphasia Choir.





Stroke Association Services

  • You can search for some of our local services here or ring the Stroke Helpline on 0303 3033 100.
  • You can read our factsheet on communication problems after stroke. 
  • You can visit TalkStroke to meet other people affected by stroke and share experiences.
  • You can help change lives for people affected by making a donation to Stroke Association.
If you are a health or social care professional and would like to find out more about the support services we can provide for people who have aphasia, please see the Professionals section of our website or email us at services@stroke.org.uk.


Hilary Devey, BBC Dragon’s Den Star and Stroke Association Supporter, says:




“My communication wasn’t affected by my stroke, but I can only imagine how devastating it would be. It’s hard enough getting your life back on track, but not being able to speak, read or write would make it all the more harder. I hope through this campaign more people will support the Stroke Association in giving stroke survivors back their lives.”

John Humphrys, BBC Broadcaster, says:




“There are over 300,000 stroke survivors who have aphasia, which means they have difficulty being able to speak, read and understand. It's a condition that strikes at the very essence of what it is to be human. As a broadcaster I can't even begin to imagine it. This Christmas, please join me in supporting the Stroke Association as they work to give people a better life after stroke.”





Copyright © Stroke Association UK
... Permitted Use
       Visitors to the Stroke Association website are granted permission to access this copyright material (written or images) and to download the copyright material onto electronic, optical or similar storage media provided that such activities are for personal, non-commercial use.

No comments:

Post a Comment