Saturday, June 01, 2013

FREEDOM... A Good Thing

Hi Mark.  The following is, in essence, what I learned from you.  If there is anything you wish changed, shoot me an email and it will be done.  I included a photo of Bruno installing an additional light fixture so he can enjoy his woodcarving with ample light.  Note his smile… he is really happy these days.  Feel free to use the photo or not... whatever suits your needs.  We certainly wish you well with your new tack in life.   Love, Patty

I am finally getting the picture.  For my husband, who is still recovering from aphasia as the result of a stroke two and a half years ago, to be able to truly stretch his wings and fly, I must reel in the safety net I have diligently and lovingly kept in place for him.  I must step aside and let him be his charming self no matter the appearance of an occasional misplaced phrase or mispronounced word, the use of an opposite meaning word... like “he” for “she” or for that matter the complete omission of a key word in a thought he is expressing.

Bruno preparing to put "light" on
his new hobby…woodcarving
I am choosing not to enable my husband’s dependence on me when a word he is searching for just “evaporates” and he turns to me to supply it. It is acceptable for there to be pauses in conversation as he searches.  It is even all right for his word of choice to be completely left out of his sentence.  Nine times out of ten he either finds the word or the other person in conversation with him picks up on the gist of his thought and the conversation continues.  Guess what?  Most individual words are just not that important in life!

What is important is that my husband is conversing... and really feeling free to do so.  Curiously this release, this new found freedom of speech has impacted his life, and mine, in many other areas allowing us to pursue creative endeavours we each enjoyed prior to his stroke.  Freedom to express verbally and creatively has greatly improved the quality of our lives... and that’s a good thing!

Patty Wesolek



See the web site:
      The Teaching of Talking
and the Facebook in Mark Ittleman
   

No comments:

Post a Comment