Saturday, April 06, 2013

Biking-1 Stroke Rehab - 2013

Dean Reinke
Deans' Stroke Musing
Saturday, March 30, 2013

Its going to occur. I picked up my bike from the shop on Wed. That night as I'm reading a loud boom occurs  in my apartment. The front tire inner tube gave out.  This morning I get the tire off the rim using my bike tire levers.

I've changed dozens of tires so I know exactly what to do.  None of this patching for me I just go straight to a new inner tube.

Since this is my first tire change post stroke I found out that tire levers can also be used to snap the tire back onto the rim. That was the easy part. I spent the next 15 minutes wrestling  the tire onto the front fork. With two useable hands I could have gotten it done in 10 seconds. But success was going to occur.

That effort knocked the front brake pad out of alignment so the left pad was preventing the wheel from turning. And since this was the new SlidePad system it took me another 15 minutes to get it adjusted.

Finally got it outside in the 58 degree weather and while I only rode around in the parking lot, it felt great. The seat was no longer twisting underneath me, the left foot was prevented from sliding off due to the toe clip. The new braking system allowed me to get going fast enough so I was no longer wobbling. The rear view mirror meant I didn't need to try looking over my shoulder. The only problem to be corrected is my left wrist curls and will not stay straight.  But its happening and I am happy, happy, happy.

See the original article: 
          Biking-1 Stroke Rehab - 2013
          in Deans' Stroke Musing

As well see another approximate 8 articles about bicycles in Deans' Stroke Musing blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment