Saturday, January 19, 2013

Eclectic: Regina - Gratitude

Regina - SSTattler
By Regina Price

This New Year’s Day was phenomenal because I had my brain aneurysm six years ago to the day and I am doing very well. I am mostly healthy and somewhat fit (which occurs for most of us older people) but I am trying things to make my life healthier and I am doing exercises which will improve my body over time. I am also trying to improve my mind and to improve my computer skills (like typing and writing) to make new neurons in my damaged brain.

This week I was thinking about my aneurysm and how it occurred—quickly and unexpected. It made me think about how I am very grateful to so many people.

I am so thankful for my husband who called the ambulance people, who showed up quickly. Also, for a visiting friend who encouraged him to phone, this made a lot of time difference.

Next, the ambulance crew, which I never experienced through my memory, they came when I threw up and become unconscious. They knew what to do and then took me to the University Hospital.

Then, the hospital staff knew exactly what to do and did it. I was reminded that they also called a neurosurgeon to help me the next day. Apparently, he took a part of my skull and put into my stomach for safety, which was very helpful. As well, he clipped my aneurysm, which made a total difference in my life. I have no recollection for the whole month of January as I was in medical coma for two weeks and the other two weeks, my brain was totally toast.

I heard from family members that I had some experiences in the hospital but I can’t recall them at all. I am grateful that people cared for me and loved me and those who assisted me all that time.

Then I was sent to another hospital which had people who could assist me with exercise classes, speech therapy, psychologists, etc. Without any words, or ability to read or write, it was tough for me. I was very grateful for their help and support from my visitors and family. I can’t remember much but it was a great experience for me—I couldn’t even begin to list all the things that happened during those two months. The whole time I was wearing a skateboard helmet to save me from hurting my brain further and allow it to shrink into to my skull area.

Then, again, the neurosurgeon put my skull together and I looked like a survivor from a bad skull injury. It healed over time and I decided to grow my hair to cover my unusual skull.

Then, I went home and stayed with my husband, who took some time off of work to assist me, and then my daughter moved in for months to help me and drive me to another hospital for speech therapy, 3 times every week. I would never forget what a difference this has made for me.

Because of my difficulty driving, I often got a disabled bus to go to hospital classes to help me to read and talk, and I also took a ride with my daughter to get a speech therapy lesson at another hospital. So, I appreciate the constant driving. It took more than a year to get my driving licence back.

Today, I am very appreciative for ALL the help that came my way and every day I am happy and contented for the things I can do and see and experience…

No comments:

Post a Comment