Saturday, January 19, 2013

Eclectic: Diane - Happiness

On our honeymoon, at the historic White Horse Tavern
The other day, Barb left a comment on my blog which asked me, in so many words, was  I happy?

I have thought a lot about that since. You know, walking the dog, doing the endless laundry, I ask myself, Diane, are you happy?

And I'm really not sure...

Webster's defines happiness as:

1: a state of well-being and contentment; also: a pleasurable satisfaction 2: aptness

Which makes me wonder, first, just what the  heck is "aptness" and what's that got to do with happiness?

But anyway...

I knew happiness. I knew it quite well. Bob and I were really very happy together before the stroke.

Hamming it up with a mermaid at Weeki Wachee
Happiness to me is doing the things you love with the one you love. Bob and I used to love to go on road trips, visiting out-of-the-way antique shops and junk shops and flea markets. Always on the hunt for a big find. We were avid collectors of anything antique, old or quirky.

We absolutely loved tacky Florida tourist traps. Like the one above.

And historic sites.

And mom and pop diners.

And The Gulf of Mexico.

And just being together. Living life. Bob always told me, "Life is an adventure!" He always told me, "Follow your dreams." I loved that about him. As I was always a bit more reserved. He let me spread my wings. Be myself. Think of myself as a writer, and not just a woman who writes as a hobby.

Yes, I do know this: once, I was very very happy. I think these pictures show it.

But am I happy now? Since the stroke? That's a good question. Especially for a gal who was up at 1:30 a.m. cleaning diarrhea off the bed sheets this morning.

Maybe a better question would be, am I unhappy?

Webster's defines ... ====>>

See the full article Happiness
                               in The Pink House On The Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment