Saturday, September 29, 2012

Eclectic: Diane - A Surreal Anniversary

Diane - The Pink House OTC
Sunday was our 18th wedding anniversary, and I almost decided to skip it... I mean, what does one do to celebrate? Pre-stroke, Bob would wake me up in the morning with a kiss and "Happy Anniversary, Sweets!" and a cup of coffee and flowers or some other trinket. He never forgot our anniversary.

We used to go out for dinner and dancing, or spend a day at the beach, or take a little road trip, do some antiquing in the neighboring villages and towns. All that is out of the question now, since Bob can't eat (has a peg tube) and his mobility issues prevent the others.

I did ponder other options: a movie? a stroll in the park? Going to movie brought visions of Bob having to pee half-way through, and movie theaters do not have a pause button. A stroll in the park brings up worries about weather conditions -- always a concern with a wheelchair.

Bob at The Dali
(behind him is an artistic rendition of Salvador Dali's famous mustache).
I almost skipped it, because, sadly, unless I tell him, Bob wouldn't even know it's our wedding anniversary.

But then, I had a grim thought. What if this would be our last anniversary together? What if we had no "19th"? These days, I do not take things for granted. So I decided we must do something to celebrate.  I began to research local museums, looking for something nearby and wheelchair accessible and not too pricey. Well, turns out they are all pricey, but I rationalized -- what the heck? I just saved $48.00 talking to the neuro doc on the phone instead of going in for an appointment. Besides we deserve it, right? And finally, I made arrangements with the wheelchair transport to take us to "The Dali", a museum housing a large collection Salvador Dali's artwork.

Bob's favorite painting. He spent a long time 
gazing at this, it's called "Birth of a New Man"


I figured Bob, an rather surreal artist himself, would enjoy The Dali. And the museum bills itself as handicap accessible. Plus they have a cafe. So my thought was to take a tour of the exhibit, perhaps a cup of thickened coffee in the cafe afterward for Bob. Sounded like a leisurely way to spend a few quiet hours on a Sunday afternoon ...

See the full article A Surreal Anniversary at The Pink House on The Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment