Saturday, March 14, 2015

TED Talks - Mark Applebaum: The Mad Scientist of Music

Published on Aug 3, 2012

Mark Applebaum writes music that breaks the rules in fantastic ways, composing a concerto for a florist and crafting a musical instrument from junk and found objects. This quirky talk might just inspire you to shake up the "rules" of your own creative work. (Filmed at TEDxStanford.)

SSTattler: You have to listen to his lecture and, specifically, he said starting 13:52 "This is going to be a piece called "Aphasia," and it's for hand gestures synchronized to sound, and this invites yet another role, and final one I'll share with you, which is that of the choreographer. And the score for the piece looks like this, and it instructs me, the performer, to make various hand gestures at very specific times synchronized with an audio tape, and that audio tape is made up exclusively of vocal samples. I recorded an awesome singer, and I took the sound of his voice in my computer, and I warped it in countless ways to come up with the soundtrack that you're about to hear. And I'll perform just an excerpt of "Aphasia" for you here..."


Standard YouTube License @ TED

No comments:

Post a Comment