Saturday, September 21, 2013

One-Handedness

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Sep 15, 2013

My last post was about taking some stuff to a friend of mine and Barb inquired how I managed to do all of that.  I’ve written posts before about not looking disabled so my regular readers know that about me – that I don’t look disabled.  Because of where my stroke was in the brain, it’s very deceiving to the outside world.  Even my mom, who has spent the most time with me and knows my issues better than anyone else said something to me a few months ago and I was like “seriously Mom?”

Due to my cerebellum being injured, I have an intention tremor in my right hand.  I have no strength or range of motion issues.  I look deceivingly healthy, like I said.  Me and my mom were in an airport and I was carrying a drink in my left hand.  She asked me if I could hold her drink (with my right hand).  I said “no I can’t.”  Then she said “just for a second.”  NO I CAN’T MOM!!!!!!  If I would have tried to hold her drink the intention tremor would’ve taken over and my hand would’ve started shaking and people walking by me would’ve gotten doused with coffee.  Intention tremors come out with – intent.  So if my intent was to hold her coffee for her the tremor would have started and I would’ve spilled the coffee.  Not just spilled it, more like thrown the coffee across the airport.  But I’m making it seem worse than it is.  I’m really good at making things seem worse than they are.  The tremor used to be unbelievably terrible and horrible.  Now it’s not.  Gross motor movements like opening doors and windows and stuff like that feel ”normal” to me.  Fine motor stuff does not feel normal at all.  Like writing, I hate writing.  Writing is really hard, but I can do it.  It’s even legible.  For a long time, my right hand and arm were not at all functional, now they are. Most people who have a stroke are not this lucky.  Most people have to find ways to do things with one hand.  I remember when I first had my stroke I would read this blog a lot.  I don’t think she writes it anymore but it has a lot of good ideas.

See the original article + 17 Comments:

No comments:

Post a Comment