Saturday, February 16, 2013

Trying out the Segway in Edmonton

Sharon D Anderson
Stroke Survivors  Tattler
After John came home from rehabilitation, he was lucky enough to get some outpatient speech therapy.  At the time, he didn’t have a driver’s license, disabled public transportation was always late and the distance from the door to the speech therapist’s office was probably ½ a mile.  Needless to say, he was late for over half his appointments.

Mobility — getting where you want to go is a challenge when you have a disability.  John now drives, but we have tried a number of devices over the years including an electric wheelchair (month 2-4 after stroke while in rehab), a 4 wheeled scooter (months 5- 9 before driver’s license), and a recumbent bike (about 2 years post stroke – present).  Last week John, Monty & Gary tried the Segway.   They kept telling me how easy it was to ride and that anyone could learn - even me!

I have use of all four limbs, but John knows I am a big chicken!  I am scared of heights and scared of the water. When he and all of our friends took scuba diving lessons, I read a book on land.  I did try kayaking (in a pool). It was fine when it was upright, but when it kayak tipped, they had told us just to relax and we would fall out. Good advice for someone that is not a chicken!  When I tipped the kayak, I was scared and stiff like a board. There was no way I was going to relax until I passed out. Fortunately, John was aware of my fears and proclivities and rescued me.

River Valley Adventure Co.
(Just Click!)
So today, on Valentine’s Day, he took me to try the Segway.  I really think he expected me to be a big chicken again!  NOT!  They are incredibly easy to use.  I didn’t feel any fear when trying it.  First of all Chris Szydlowski (owner Segway of Edmonton) was really reassuring and the Segway was responsive and intuitive to use. It just made sense!


So will they work for people with stroke or chickens like me? Absolutely. They will work for people with a wide range of abilities!  The bonus is — you don’t look like you have a disability or that you are chicken like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment