Saturday, February 23, 2013

Central Pain Ruined My Sleep

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
February 18, 2012

After my second stroke my hemiplegic leg lost the ability to distinguish between hot and cold and acquired a constant burning sensation.  The burning sensation turned into a sharp pain when I took my brace and shoe off.  I had to grit my teeth and endure the pain to get undressed at night.  It also felt like I had a rubber band around the base of my big toe at all times.  I didn't know these were symptoms of central pain.  Central pain is constant pain created by damage to the central nervous system (e.g. the brain).  Symptoms include constant burning, pain caused by normally non-painful stimuli, shooting or electric shock-like pain, muscle cramps, stinging, tingling, and a pins-and-needles sensation.  These abnormal sensations can be widely distributed but are usually localized to one body part, especially the hands or feet.

After 1 year the sharp pain I felt when I removed my brace and shoe disappeared.  After 2 years the burning sensation in my leg shrank to affect just my foot.  However, the sheet touching the end of my big toe intensifies the constant burning that ruins my sleep.  Taking Tylenol before bed helps but I'm taking aspirin to thin my blood so I don't see this as a good long-term solution.  A few years ago I placed an object under the sheet near my foot to keep the covers away, but the object kept slipping out of position.

Two months ago something made me look at the ball I use to stretch my hand before I get up in the morning.  I picked up the ball and put it under the covers at the foot of my bed.  In the photo a second ball placed outside the covers shows you what the ball looks like.  This rubbery ball creates friction so the ball stays put and keeps the covers off the end of my big toe all night long.  These balls are made for children so they are cheap.  I bought an extra ball just for my foot. I'm relieved that falling asleep is easier.


Posted by Rebecca Dutton at 8:36 AM

Comment(s):
Anonymous February 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM
You are so creative! And you keep teaching me names for my symptoms. My "central pain" isn't excruciating, but it is constant and annoying. You have given me hope that it will eventually subside. At this point I feel it in my hand and below my knee.
- Marcelle
See the original article Central Pain Ruined My Sleep
                                       in Home After a Stroke

No comments:

Post a Comment