Saturday, August 30, 2014

Plyometrics

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Feb 21, 2014

Cool people call them ‘plyos.’ Plyometrics are jumps. I can’t jump, so no plyos for me right now. A plyometric exercise is when an eccentric contraction is immediately followed by a quick and powerful concentric contraction. What that means is that you’re stretching out a muscle by making it longer then using that energy to shorten the muscle really fast and powerfully. So, think of a squat jump. Jillian Michaels loves to have people do these on The Biggest Loser. Ok, first you squat down. This is using the quadriceps muscle eccentrically and stretching it out as you squat. Then you straighten your legs and jump in the air. This motion is concentrically contracting the quadriceps muscle by shortening it. And you jump in the air, that’s the plyometric part. You’re doing a high intensity burst by using all the energy you created when squatting to jump up. It’s a way to create power in a muscle. You stretch the muscle, then you powerfully contract it, concentrically contract it. Be careful with plyos, they can be hard on the joints. Sprinkle them throughout your workout. Like I said, I couldn’t do a plyo if I wanted because I can’t jump off the ground. If you can jump, try some plyos maybe.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment