Saturday, August 30, 2014

Hand Function Comes From My Gut

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
February 13, 2014

I learned hand function comes from my gut when a PT had me do abdominal exercises after back spasms returned  (Back Pain + Stroke = Disaster).  I was surprised to feel abdominal muscles on my paralyzed side burning from effort while I felt only a gentle contraction on my sound side.

I was amazed to discover the arms need strong stomach muscles.  When I lift an arm, abdominal and back muscles must work to keep my trunk still so I will not fall over as the weight of my arm moves far from my body.  After doing the exercise below for awhile it got easier to lift my hemiplegic arm to get my hand to an object.

My PT taught me to do leg lifts with knees bent.  I decided to intensify the workout.  I clasp my hands together, lift both arms over head, and do a partial sit-up by lifting my head and twisting to the left until my right shoulder blade lifts off the bed.  I do 10 reps to the left and 10 to the right.  Before I move I press my low back against the mattress and take a deep breath.  As I move I slowly let my breath out through pursed lips.  Holding my breath would increase my blood pressure.

But there is a catch - I had to do the exercise correctly to feel abdominal muscles on my paralyzed side burn for months.  Dean cites a study that found stroke survivors who received real-time video feedback about how they did abdominal exercises improved their walking significantly more than clients who did not get feedback.  My PT had superb clinical observation skills and the ability to teach.  Instead of telling me how many reps to do and walking away she stayed and gave me verbal feedback on what I was doing wrong.

A 2nd catch is consistently doing a new exercise.  After getting up to go to the bathroom I get back in bed to do back and hand exercises while my muscles are still toasty warm.  So I added this abdominal exercise to my morning routine.  You would not be able to see what I am doing because I do it under the covers.




See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment