Saturday, August 30, 2014

A 30-Bucket Morning

Barb Polan
Barb’s Recovery
29th August 2011

I have 6 balls with my Saebo and, each time I transfer all the balls from one container to another, it's counted as a bucket. So, 30 buckets correspond to 180 balls moved. The most I've moved before is 126. Unsuccessfully dropping every other ball and doing a "re-do," 30 buckets translates to 270 successful grasps of a ball. In addition to grasping balls, I have become proficient at multiplying by 6 and bending over to pick up a ball from the floor.

A 30-bucket session ( in 45 minutes) is a successful one in my book - always my target when I start a session. I often hit my goal. Eventually I will be using tighter springs and doing more challenging exercises - for example, picking up a ball and placing it on top of a cone instead of dropping it. My hardest exercise now is picking up the ball and trying to touch it to my chin, then lowering it and dropping it into the container; right now, I get it nowhere near my chin, but in the general direction of up. Given enough repetitions, I will be able to do it eventually.

First thing this morning, I tried an exercise my OT gave me last week – opening and closing my fingers while my unaffected hand holds my affected one – no, not helping, just giving me a base as a target for my open fingers.

This morning, I was able to nearly straighten my first two fingers. “Nearly,” in this case, means, not all the way to 180 degrees from my palm, but more than 90 – maybe about 135.

Later today, it will go even better.




See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment