Saturday, March 26, 2016

[Guest Article] You are What you Choose to Be

Pamela Hsieh
StrokedUP
24 May, 2012

Debbie is Pamela’s personal trainer.

Ever since I was a young girl I always did my absolute best at everything I did.  Some may say I was a “perfectionist,” but I simply call it “driven.”  Whenever I committed to doing anything, whether it was winning the social studies fair, getting the solo in the high school dance show, graduating college with honors, or getting promoted to a management position, I never let any environmental or life circumstance hinder my ability to succeed.  Don’t get me wrong, I certainly had obstacles and worked hard to achieve all of these things, but I never made an excuse as to why I couldn’t do any of these things.  I chose who I wanted to be and continue to make these choices every day. Some of you may think this is not that easy and we all don’t have control over life but the bottom line is — we do.

As a certified personal trainer, one of my favorite things I tell all my clients is, “It’s not easy, but it is simple.” This could not be truer. So many times I hear clients say they “can’t work out” or “can’t find time” to work out or make healthy food choices and all I hear in my head is “I choose not to work out or eat healthy.” This is the truth.  Time is not found, it is made.  I mentioned before that I had obstacles that attempted to get in my way when working towards certain goals in life.  For example, I was diagnosed with type I diabetes when I was six years old.  I could have easily used this as an excuse as to why I couldn’t handle a four-hour dance rehearsal or ever have a profession as a personal trainer.  I figured a personal trainer had to be in “perfect health,” rather than plagued by a chronic disease usually characterized by obesity and poor health habits.  Instead, I chose to use this as a tool for my success.  What better way to help prevent others from becoming diabetic due to obesity than to help change others’ lives for the better with a detailed understanding of eating healthy and exercising to manage their health?  As a result, I chose to make personal training my career.  This was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Every single day I go to work, someone inspires me.  I am lucky to work in an environment where I meet new people every day.  So many of my clients have overcome incredible obstacles and challenges to get where they are today.  I have twoclients who have had brain surgeries under the age of 25, both successfully taking care of their bodies with a positive attitude.  As a matter of fact, both are educators and thrive off helping others grow both mentally and physically.  I have another client who had a heart attack after working out for over six months.  His heart attack was due to artery clogging that had been cumulative over several years of unhealthy eating.  The “easier” thing for him to do would be to wallow in his health mistakes and quit working out for fear of another heart attack.  However, he did not do that.  He came back after cardio rehab with an amazing abundance of energy and will to live healthy.  Although we don’t all have that eye-opener in life, we all do have the common ability to want to live the healthiest life possible.

All of those aforementioned are people who CHOSE to be healthy, who CHOSE to overcome life’s obstacles, and who continually CHOOSE to push forward in life, regardless of their obstacles.  I ask you to take a minute and reflect on your own life choices.  Are you a victim of your human condition to want to make excuses for all shortcomings and/or life struggles? If you are, now is the time to reflect on what you will do today to change that mindset.  If you are someone who continues to live a driven life with no excuses, then I commend you and encourage you to spread that mindset with those around you.  I thank those around me who continue to inspire me daily and look forward to inspiring those around me to live with intention rather than excuses.

Debbie is a well-recognized certified personal trainer who has been training clients and teaching group exercise throughout the Midwest for the last eight years. Debbie started her passion for fitness at an early age with a strong interest in dance. After studying ballet and jazz among many other dance forms along with performing nationwide in dance companies, she continued to perform and teach dance and fitness at the University of Iowa. Graduating with a B.A. in communication studies and a minor in dance, Debbie fused her passion for dance with fitness by teaching classes and personal training. She has managed personal trainers at numerous gyms while continuing her passion for helping others. Debbie is certified through the National Academy of Sports Medicine with a specialization in functional movement through PTA global. She is also certified in Power Plate vibration platform training. Although she has worked with all ages, physical abilities, and/or limitations, Debbie specializes in helping people move better through functional training. Being a healthy type I diabetic since the age of six, she also specializes in exercise and wellness for diabetics. In addition to personal training, she teaches local ballet and hip-hop dance classes. She is a fitness and wellness author, sharing numerous informative wellness and fitness articles and enjoys sharing her passion of helping people live the healthiest life possible.  Her favorite quote that she lives by is “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment