Sunday, August 16, 2015

Donald Trump, aka Why I Changed the Title of This Blog,
         "The Tales of a Stroke Patient"

Joyce Hoffman
The Tales of a Stroke Patient

and Far Beyond
Aug 15, 2015

I suspect I've exhausted every facet--at least, so far--of the original blog, "The Tales of a Stroke Patient." If something new comes up with strokes, I'm on it.

But I want to write other things, funny things like Politics 2016, or sad things like missing kids, or strange things like the real truth (if any) behind Bigfoot. So I've changed the name to "The Tales of a Stroke Patient and Far Beyond." Explanation? None needed.

So I'll begin the blog with something else--the Donald and his exuberant supporters. A little background first.

I was always a Democrat, but some work colleague was a Republican and wanted me to write campaign speeches for him while he was running for a city office in 1994.

"If I win," he explained, "I'll make you Director of Communications. But first, you have to become a Republican because I can't have a Democrat in my circle." So I did.

Long story short, there were three people running for that office, and my colleague came in third. And I never got to be Director of anything. Manager once for a technical training firm. Anyway, I would have made a lousy Republican and I changed back to Blue a year later.

Pure Republicans (not the Tea Party, some of whom want to overthrow the government and send it down to hell) believe in a smaller government, market solutions, national and personal defense, and common sense realities. Pure Democrats think just the opposite.

An estimated 146 million U.S. citizens over 18 are registered to vote. Of these, about 30 million are registered Republicans, and about 42 million registered Democrats. Roughly 24 million are registered as Independents or belonging to some other minor party.

And then there's Donald Trump, leading in the GOP polls, but he won't rule out running as an Independent. (This election is the best ever!)

Plainly put, I get his mindset, because oddly enough, I was attracted to narcissists--self-loving souls--for most of my life. What I don't get are the passionate supporters who sing his praises.

Politico says, "As it turns out, the Trump coalition looks a lot like the rest of the Republicans. Other than a spike in support in the Northeast, there is little in recent polling data to distinguish Trump’s supporters from the heart of the GOP primary electorate. Even immigration hardliners support him at the same rate as the rest of the Republican Party."

Taegan Goddard of the Political Wire says, "Donald Trump’s support from Republican voters tends to come from men, seniors and those having a high school education or less, according to results from an online NBC News/SurveyMonkey survey of more than 3,000 GOP primary voters. Trump also has widespread ideological backing from Republicans – as he gets the most support of any candidate from moderate, conservative and very conservative GOP primary voters."

Or maybe, just maybe, our do-nothing Congress is to blame. The Congressional Republicans and Democrats are more interested in opposing and supporting, respectively, President Obama's plans, and the rest of the people, I mean you and me, are just looking for change. But Trump? Seriously?

The quotes in italics belong to Trump:
  • insults most Mexicans ("When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best.... They’re sending people that have lots of problems.... They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.") 
  • isn't wild about any woman who's fat and ugly (when GOP debate moderator Megyn Kelly asked Donald Trump if Americans should elect a president who "calls women you don’t like fat pigs, dogs slob, and disgusting animals,” he gloated, “Only Rosie O’Donnell."
  • is boastful ("The beauty of me is that I'm very rich.")
  • doesn't trust black people ("I hate it when black guys count my money. The only people that I like counting my money wear a yarmulke every day.")  
  • makes nothing out of McCain's war hero status ("He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured.") 

I could go on all day, but you do get the gist, don't you?

I don't know who I'm voting for in the general elections, but I'll tell you this: I'm not in favor of voting for a political dynasty to win, i.e. Hillary Clinton or Jeb Bush if they win the parties' nominations. And I'm not interested in voting for anyone who blurs the distinction between government and religion, or who's a bully, or who's a racist, or who's a hypocrite, or who's a poser, or who's just good-looking.

The Democrats haven't yet announced who's definitely running, but when they do, I'll take a hard look. My mother was overwhelmed by Joe Biden's good looks. She said she would vote for him if he ever ran for President. But I'm not that way. I demand more. A lot more.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment