Saturday, July 12, 2014

Updated - Ikea Standing-Up Desk by SSTattler

John C. Anderson
Stroke Survivors Tattler
Update - Take a look about Ikea Standing-Up Desk by Stroke Survivors Tattler January 18, 2014 -- it will tell you about my history to built the Standing-Up Desk. Brief synopsis:
  • Cost for me is approximate $175.61,
  • The time is less than 8 hours of effort to build it,
  • Basically, it is much better about your health (I was told by various articles),
  • My “gimp-right-leg” from my stroke was a problem and I said, "The first week was hell about my legs!!"

Now, 6 months later, July 2014, my conclusion is mostly positive:
  • Further cost + effort is nil; TV bench + Frame make a beautiful desk and it is very solid - no vibration, no loose bolts, ..., a very, very nice desk.
  • I read articles about Standing-Up Desk. Why and How I Switched to a Standing Desk by Gina Trapani tell you various details +’ve and -‘ve but one details by Gina Trapani:
    • But don't Your Feet Hurt? Yes, very much. In fact, the first three days were brutal, so painful I doubted the whole endeavor. By mid-day 2, I had to sit down every hour or so. I was distracted and had a hard time focusing on anything but how much my feet hurt. At night I sat on the couch with my feet elevated. I collapsed into bed totally exhausted. I never appreciated sitting as much as I did the first three days.
    • Well my feet hurt a bit during the first month but my “gimp-right-leg” was a real problem and I told in Ikea Standing-Up Desk by Stroke Survivors Tattler (i.e. you have to move your leg/feet continuously) but about a few weeks it is cured.  
  • Unfortunately, my posture is awful especially when I’m tired. My belly sticks out resting on the top of the desk, and then my feet does not move at all, and then I have the same problem with my “gimp-right-leg”.  Cured is simple -- definition Standing from Wikipedia:  “... Standing, also referred to as orthostasis, is a human position in which the body is held in an upright ("orthostatic") position and supported only by the feet. Although seemingly static,the body rocks slightly back and forth from the ankle in the sagittal plane. The sway of quiet standing is often likened to the motion of an inverted pendulum.” It works for me!
  • I added a monitor HP25xi - 23” @ 1920x1080 pixels - I used the 13” laptop MacBook Air for about a year but the difference with 23” monitor is huge and now days the monitor is relatively cheap (≈ $150 to $200).  The laptop MacBook Air is below the monitor and still works :-) ; wireless keyboard+trackpad with Bluetooth from a old desktop iMac.
  • Linux / Microsoft laptop it is put on top of the colour printer (I use it approximate every month to check the web format of SSTattler with Linux and Microsoft).
  • Three externally disks (just behind the MacBook Air):
    • Backup every hour, 
    • Github (repository for software offsite + local cache), 
    • personalProjects,
    • Read or Burn disk - CD/DVD - used rarely.
  • Great Bose Radio & CD beside the MacBook Air - CBC News and all type of good music (especially lay down some code and listen to, usually, Baroque. See Music and Mathematics From Wikipedia).
  • Home telephone,  In/Out box, stapler, 3 Hole Punch, kleenex, box of pens/scissors, iPad, pictures of my granddaughter, ..., etc.
Conclusion:
I will stick to Standing-Up Desk - relatively cheap, solid, (now) I’ve good posture, plus expenditure of calories of is twice standing up vs. sitting down!
January to July 2014 - This is a picture of my standing-up desk below.

Updated - New Standing-Up Desk



January 2014 - This is a picture of my new standing-up desk below.  All is the same stuff with my "old desk" (and I'll put the radio back soon). The books in the "LACK" bookshelf took a lot of space. Changed stuff in my bedroom to the standing desk is - 1) my the second printer,  2) my Linux/Microsoft laptop and 3) backup hard-disks  - everything is here but the box of kleenex and a coffee mug!
New Standing-Up Desk



Before January 2014 - For some reason, the old desk seems clutter but it is about equivalent for space.

Old Sitting-Down Desk
























No comments:

Post a Comment