Saturday, July 19, 2014

Edmonton: BIS - Be Inspired and Strong

A Toastmasters Club for People with Brain Injuries and Strokes


So you have a brain injury from a car accident, stroke, or other unfortunate life threatening tragedy :o(

You’ve been working hard on your rehabilitation, and although you may never get back all that was lost, you are still hopeful that you will be able to work through your disability and come through to the other side with a reasonably productive and satisfying lifestyle.

I was a public school teacher of 10 years who sustained a severe Traumatic Brain Injury (2 month coma) in a horrendous car crash on the way to work in June of 1987.  Over the past 27 years I have been to hell and back several times, but I have finally emerged with a meaningful, happy and positive outlook on life.

Since my accident I have been involved in a great many activities in the local education community. I have spoken about disability in classrooms from Kindergarten through University, I have facilitated over 400 workshops for other teachers on long term disability, and I have been involved in numerous disability related boards and committees.

A personal goal was to speak to Teachers’ Conventions about the rehabilitative opportunities that are available to disabled teachers.  But my brain injury has made it difficult for me to present in front of a large audience. So I scoured the WEB looking for educational opportunities that worked within the constraints of my disability.

What I found was Toastmasters International, a world wide non-profit organization dedicated to improving oral communication, confidence and public speaking skills in the English speaking world.  I joined a local Toastmasters club, and through benevolent instruction along with the opportunity to model effective behavior and presentation skills, my ability to speak in front of an audience has steadily improved.

Finally in February of 2014, I fulfilled a personal goal of giving a presentation on Brain Injury Rehabilitation to the Central Alberta Teachers’ Convention.

Since 1924, more than 4 million people around the world have participated in Toastmasters.  Today, the membership is 292,000 strong, with 14,350 clubs in 122 countries that make up a global network of meeting locations.

With dedicated assistance from incredible leaders in the Edmonton Toastmasters community, I have recently started a Toastmasters Club exclusively for people who are rehabilitating from the effects of stroke or brain injury. The club consists of long term survivors like me as well as people relatively new to brain injury.

 As EVERYONE in the club is a survivor there is absolutely no discrimination nor stigma.   BIS (Brain Injury and Stroke or Be Inspired and Strong) Toastmasters is just an ordinary Toastmasters Club in District 42, Alberta and Saskatchewan.  There is not any mollycoddling just because you have a stroke or a brain injury!  We are all in the same boat so we understand exactly what you are going through.  Everyone is more than happy to accommodate anyone else requiring extra assistance.

One thing for sure, in addition to awesome rehabilitative benefits (based on my personal experience) the club is LOTS OF FUN!  In addition to regular meetings, you have access to workshops, parties and conferences.  Last year I went to Fort MacMurray and the year before I went to Saskatoon!  This year the annual conference was held in Edmonton at the Radisson Hotel :o)

The cost is a one time only new member fee of $30.00 pus $60.00  payable twice a year. This includes all start-up manuals, the Toastmasters Magazine, and ongoing support from Toastmasters International. Financial support to the club over and above the afore mentioned individual fees has generously been donated by the Riverbend Safeway.

We are also supported by the Edmonton Networks Activity Centre for the Brain Injured, the Edmonton Brain Care Centre and the Stroke Recovery Association of Edmonton.

Meetings of the BIS Toastmasters Club are held every second Thursday morning from 10:00-12:00 at a venue in the Bonnie Doon Mall.  The official Inaugural Meeting of the club will be held when we reach 20 paid up members, but bi-weekly meetings will occur until then, providing ongoing practice and insight into the Toastmasters Community.  Our next meeting is July 10, 2014 and every 2 weeks thereafter.

Well that’s enough for now.  Please phone me if you are interested.  It will be well worth your while.  My cell is 780-499-4540.  Please leave a message with your name, email address and and phone number.


Thanks for listening!

Margaret Wardell BEd (my pre head injury job), CLL (Certified Laughter Leader), CC (Toastmasters Competent Communicator)
margwardell@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I have already attended two meetings with this group. It was awesome to be with some of the nicest person I ever met. Come join us and learn and gain confidence in public speaking.

    ReplyDelete