Saturday, March 02, 2013

Another Success Story for The Teaching of Talking Method

Mark A Ittleman
The Teaching of Talking
June 21, 2012

A series letters to/from Mark and Diane by The Teaching of Talking.

This is my friend Diane who has been reading pre published copy of The Teaching of Talking and receiving personal coaching. Our method uses conversation as the vehicle while using revolutionary language stimulation methods.

I am overjoyed at the progress Diane and Bob are making with The Teaching of Talking method.

A Conversation With Bob
Me: Today, we go to Pain Management. The transport will be here at 12:30. 
Bob (looks at his watch): OK 
Me: Last time, Stephanie said she would ask the doctor if he would increase your medication. Or if not, if there was a different medication you could try. 
Bob: Right. 
Me: But I need to know, would you want to change your medication? 
Bob (touches his shoulder): The problem is here. (Touches his forearm) Not here. 
Me: The doctor said the Botox shots in your arm were supposed to help your shoulder. I know it isn’t working. We’ll talk about that, too. 
Bob: OK 
Me: But I need to know, do you want to change your medication or just stay with the one you got? 
Bob: I don’t know. 
Me: I don’t know either. I’d hate to switch to something less effective. Though, maybe something else would work better. 
Bob: You decide. 
Me: OK. I guess I’ll just see what she says. Play it by ear. 
Bob: Exactly. 
Me: Do you need to shave before we go? 
Bob (feels his chin): Yes, shave. 
Me: OK… Do you know what? 
Bob: What? 
Me: We just had a conversation. A real conversation! 
Bob: I know. 
Me: Wow. That was nice. And I understood everything you said! 
Bob: Yes, that was nice. 
Me: You know what? I sure do like talking to you! 
Bob: I like talking to you, too!
I know, this rather dull conversation might not seem a big deal to some people, but that was the first real conversation we have had since the stroke. By that, I mean, that Bob responded to everything I said and I could understand him perfectly. He did not hesitate nor did he fumble for words and every response was appropriate. I tell you, I am just thrilled! He’s come a long way, baby!


July 12, 2012

This was a copy of the next letter in a series from Diane. She is a remarkable woman and I am sharing the exchange of information between us so that you can get a “flavor” (Norman Vincent Peale used to say that) for how I practice speech and language pathology and my sincere interest in the speaking performance of caregivers and their loved ones.

Written by Diane

Hi Mark,

Yes, got the book!!! finally!

Bob’s speech continues to improve. Still he is often hard to understand and I often have to ask him to repeat things. We have been so busy with the new added neck exercises, I am glad to have a way of slipping speech therapy in sideways, so to speak, all through the day.

He still has the tendency to fall back on single words and gestures, like “up” along with pointing a finger upwards, when he wants to be boosted up in the bed. So I still have to push him to say “I want a boost, please.” But he can say it very well and clear. This morning, he said “up” and when I asked for a sentence, he said “boost”. When I asked him to “tell me, I want a boost” he replied, “God! You always make me say that!” ha ha!!! For that was very good sentence!!!!

Anyway, gotta run, I am being “paged”!

Thanks again, for everything!
Diane

July 12, 2012

And this was my reply to her this morning (July 12, 2012)

Diane,

Yes, Bob has slurred speech, that can be improved upon when he is given the model.

Please remember that you must speak to him in the way you wish him to speak to you.
There fore if you want him to speak clearly you must model very very slow deliberate speech in EVERYTHING YOU SAY TO HIM. ALLOW FOR ABOUT ONE SECOND BETWEEN EACH SPOKEN WORD AS YOU SAY WHAT YOU SAY TO HIM.

The other thing that will make a profound difference is speaking to him in only 2-4 word utterances with the one second separation between words. You will have to do that consistently to get the result of improved language expression and clarity. Constantly show him the model you want in all your speaking and he will come around automatically to that with time and repetition. You know how we start to talk like those we are around!

Would it be possible to also post my book icon on your website with a description that it “trains caregivers in expert speech therapy methods that can be used at home with children and adults; The book The Teaching of Talking is especially beneficial for those who have been discharged from therapy or for those who do not have professional services available. Can also be helpful for those as a supplement to the speech therapy they are receiving.

You know, that we both have a number of things in common. We are both doing whatever we can to teach and educate those with stroke and aphasia, and also to encourage them when the whole process is so daunting and challenging.

My very best wishes to you and Bob. Please know that I am willing to do whatever I can for you and Bob, as well as others in the Stroke and Aphasia communities.

All my best,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment