Saturday, October 13, 2012

YouTube: Augmentative and Alternative Communications (AAC)

Eye Tracking Communication for Locked-In Syndrome

Engineering undergraduates describe a low-cost communication technology they developed for patients with "locked-in syndrome" from neurotraumas like stroke or brain injury. This project and 32 others will be displayed at the Hajim School Design Day on April 28, 2 - 4 p.m., in Goergen Hall, Rochester University.






Stephen Murray - Professional Bmx Rider, Using Tobii PCeye to Stay Strong. (from www.tobii.com/...)

It was a trick he had done thousands of times before – but this time, it went horribly wrong. He fell while attempting his signature double back flip and was paralyzed from the shoulders down. In an instant his life had changed forever. Today the world-class BMX rider Stephen Murray and the Athlete Recovery Fund (ARF) promote the life-changing benefits of eye-tracking technology for those with spinal cord impairments and further highlight the medical needs of professional athletes suffering from performance injuries.

“Using the Tobii PCEye gives me back some independence and privacy in my life. I had come to the point that I thought I would never be able to accomplish the things I can now do with Tobii’s technology,” said Murray. “It makes me excited to wake up each day and gives me new goals to work toward. The positive effects this has had on me psychologically are far better than anything that had ever been offered to me in the past.”

Murray, a multi-gold medalist and professional BMX rider, was critically injured while performing at a competition in 2007. The crash resulted in multiple fractured vertebrae and damage to his spinal cord, leaving him quadriplegic. Despite holding insurance that covered a significant portion of his immediate emergency care, Murray and his family realized that much of his long-term care needs would not be covered by his insurance. Many action sports athletes are unable to afford this long-term coverage due to the low income levels of the majority of action sports professionals.

This hurdle served as the catalyst for forming the Athlete Recovery Fund, a 501(c)3 nonprofit that assists athletes in BMX, skate and freestyle motocross (FMX) after a severe injury to provide charitable medical and education resources to aid in recovery and rehabilitation. The Athlete Recovery Fund is Stephen Murray’s legacy because of what was learned by friend Aaron Cooke, ARF executive director, while fundraising for Stephen.
“The ARF has made significant strides in assisting action sports athletes in their rehabilitation needs and continues to grow with support from numerous organizations, such as Tobii,” said Cooke. “It is our goal to continue championing these athletes as we push for more comprehensive insurance policies that will address their long-term care.”

Murray furthers his outreach to those with spinal cord and other debilitating injuries with the Stay Strong apparel line, focusing on maintaining a positive outlook despite the challenges associated with rehabilitation and traumatic injuries. Murray hopes to build a support community around Stay Strong that will allow others to communicate, motivate and encourage one another during their rehab efforts.

Utilizing the most advanced eye-tracking technology in the world, the Tobii PCEye allows for greater independence through the use of eye movement to navigate, select and scroll through desktop applications, the Web and other common computer functions. With the robust eye-tracking and eye-control capabilities of his PCEye, Murray is able to send emails to family and friends, make phone calls, chat on Skype, review personal bank accounts, log in to Facebook , communicate with his business partner on the Stay Strong brand, and browse the Internet to keep up on current happenings in BMX.
Copyright © 2011 Tobii Technology









My Tobii P10 Eye Gaze Device Used by a Man With ALS.

This is James. James has ALS (also known as Lou Gherig's disease) and is unable to speak or use his arms and hands. He is using the My Tobii P10 to compose a message. James types by looking at the keys on the on screen keyboard. The P10 is able to determine where his eyes look. You can see a dot appear on the key he is looking at. When James wants to select a key to type he blinks and that keystrole is typed into a message window. With this device James is able to contribute to a political blog. His blog is located at http://rutherfordtimesonline.com/.








Kathrin and her MyTobii P10 (from www.tobii.com/...)

Kathrine explains in her own words how her eye controlled MyTobii helps her deal with the challenges posed by Cerebral Palsy. This is her story.

My name is Kathrin Lemler. I’m 21 years old and I have Cerebral Palsy.

I’ve used many different communication systems, starting with low tech-systems like symbol or alphabet charts which were followed by different computers. For years I used three switches in the headrest of my wheelchair and one knee-switch. After longer working periods I was exhausted, my neck ached and I had a very high body tension.

In spring 2005 I got the chance to try several different eye control systems. MyTobii was the only system that would tolerate my head movement and worked from the first moment on. It was magic! My initial feeling was that I couldn’t believe it! I was writing with my eyes! It was an indescribable feeling.

I sat in front of the computer, looking at the screen, letter after letter appeared and words evolved. From the moment I got a MyTobii my communication has run much more smoothly. It starts in the morning. I’m able to chat with my cab driver who takes me to school. We talk about unimportant things like the weather.

In school I can write long texts without having sore muscles afterwards. Because of the speed I can participate in conversations with non-AAC users and keep up with my colleagues. At home I can use MyTobii for making telephone calls on my own. I can chat much more than I did before and even afford the luxury of being polite.

Since my eye controlled MyTobii is mounted on my wheelchair I can take it wherever I go. For instance am I able to go into a bank myself and talk to the clerk independently. I don´t need an interpreter anymore. Because MyTobii is on my wheelchair, I can use it at school. And at home I can use MyTobii during meals too.

For me communication is one of the most important abilities in life. It is more than expressing your needs. Getting in contact with others and talking to them makes you a member of society. MyTobii has become my voice.can participate in conversations with non-AAC users and keep up with my colleagues. At home I can use MyTobii for making telephone calls on my own. I can chat much more than I did before and even afford the luxury of being polite.
Copyright © 2011 Tobii Technology

2 comments:

  1. I have a repetitive strain injury of tendinosis (chronic tendinitis). Stroke sufferers should also benefit from the new accessibility option of eye tracking. A cheap, $99 eye tracker will arrive in December.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q9DarPET0o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone has any luck with getting this covered under their insurance? A family member who is 31yrs old had a brain stem stroke which left him completely disabled. He was trained on the Tobii at the Rehab Hsp. as they thought w/ his age & perm. injury, ins. would cover, but they have denied. Any help in this area?

    ReplyDelete