Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SRAE Newsletter March 2012 - My Story: Debbie Jackman


My name is Debbie Jackman... and I am a stroke survivor... three time stroke survivor to be exact. My last stroke being October, 2010. There is much I could share with you about my journey to where I am today... but we all know time is valuable and you want to turn the page of this wonderful and informative newsletter.

I am the wife of the most wonderful man in the world, Mike, and together we have seven children, aged 13 to 35 (Chelsea, Travis, Steven, Tina, Brian, Michael and Jennifer), and soon to be a nana, as my son Brian and his beautiful wife Maria are expecting. I worked with Edmonton Public Schools for 23 years as an administrative assistant. My first stroke happened in 2007 when I was at work having a perfectly normal day. To think back, it is almost comical... I couldn’t understand what my secretary was saying and I could no longer speak, but drove myself to the hospital. Go figure...I had a second stroke eight days later while I was driving to work. Pulled over the van and called my husband who immediately called the ambulance. Another normal day beginning and ending in a mish mash of confusion and fear......



Stroke is very much misdiagnosed, as was the case for myself. For two years I continued to suffer with migraines, confusion, cognitive difficulties, balance issues, mobility issues, memory loss etc., and my family did not really know where to go with it all. I had a complete personality change and none of us understood why. This is so very hard on a family. If you don’t understand, how can they??? In 2009, it was decided that I needed a battery of tests with a neuropsychologist, which of course determined that I had experienced strokes and permanent brain damage, partly in the right cerebral artery. Hence, I wasn’t going crazy, all could be explained medically. After my husbands tenacity searching, googling and phone calls galore, I ended up where I needed to be all along. Firstly, to the Brain Care Centre. Well the puzzle was coming together. I had been isolated for so long, and had to figure out who I was now. One of the biggest dilemmas was the social isolation. I had given up on me. Well, the Brain Care Centre staff wouldn’t let me and introduced me to the Network Activity Centre. How can I thank them???? There are no words.

For the first time in two years, I was home. I was introduced to a whole new world. I began to paint again. This was huge as I had given this up what I thought would be forever. Photography was back in my life. Journaling...wow... what an amazing a healing experience. Learning to bake again, with assistance... who would have thought? I couldn’t even cook more than one thing after my first two strokes. My list could go on and on... I now sit on the Board of Directors of Networks, volunteer and give back to all my friends who gave to me when I needed it. I never thought I would be able to do this... but I was wrong!

Something that I really would like to share with you all is the importance of being in the right place, at the right time. In October 2010, I was at Networks, when I started having my third stroke. The staff recognized the symptoms immediately and medical help was called immediately. I was blessed enough to have TPA within 3 hours. One of the staff members stayed with me and my family throughout the night. Networks, is so much more than an Activity Centre...it is a place of family, love and support. The staff members are next to none and it is so important that those experiencing brain injury have a place to belong. I wouldn’t be where I am today without such an amazing family, and social family at Networks Activity Centre and the Brain Care Centre.

Thanks to all the support over the past couple of years, I have been able to participate in several public speaking engagements. All our stories need to be shared, and I feel blessed to be able to speak on behalf of all stroke survivors. In 2012, I became a member of the Stroke Recovery Association of Edmonton. Again, being able to pay it forward. My life may not be what I expected it to be, but I have redefined who I am and now realize my future can only be filled with love and goodness, and that is what I want to share with others. Thank you to my wonderful husband, family and stroke family for believing in me... There is always hope!!!


Please read as well the SRAE Newsletter March 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment