Saturday, February 04, 2012

YouTube: Driving a Vehicle After A Stroke





Learn the steps you need to take to drive after a stroke. Your vision and memory can impair your ability to drive, however, if you pay attention to these impairments during rehabilitation you can prepare your self to drive again. It is important to meet with your physician to obtain a prescription to receive a driving evaluation at Brooks Rehabilitation. (This video was made in Florida - minor terminology is different in Edmonton).

1 comment:

  1. In Massachusetts, you need (1) to have an eye examination (with at least a 120 degree field of view) and (2) take a competency test (which is identical to what a 17-year-old would take). The RMV knew about my disability because when I applied for a parking placard, my doctor told them I have hemiparesis; within a month, they started threatening to revoke my license unless I took the test; your license is easier to get back after you voluntarily surrender it rather than after it is revoked. You also MUST have adaptive equipment that allows you to not remove your hand from the wheel. I needed (1) a lever that diverted the directionals to the right side of the wheel and (2) a knob on the steering wheel. They are both inexpensive items you can buy online; my husband installed them. My driving instructor told me to practice driving around town, doing 3-point turns and parallel parking. All were on my tests - I took it twice.

    ReplyDelete