Tuesday, March 15, 2011

SRAE Newsletter - March 2011

Gary didn't think he would ever drive again.

A Master Corporal in the Canadian Armed Forces, Gary had just transferred back to Edmonton from Shearwater, Nova Scotia. His brother found him on the floor about 12 hours after stroke. “First, they didn’t expect me to live, and then after a year in rehab at the Glenrose and Halver Jonson, I was still unable to think clearly. They discharged me to the Edmonton Garrison and then to a nursing home. ”



Slowly Gary started to put his life back together. With the help of his Mom, Dad, and brother, Gary found a condominium in Edmonton. He exercises at the Steadward Centre and at home. In 2009, he participated in the Canadian Stroke Network’s research program, Getting On with the Rest of Your Life after Stroke Program. “It really helped me to realize that I could do more than I thought I could.

We worked at setting goals, and when Don, one of the other participants, got his driver’s license back, I realized that it was something I might be able to do too. It took a while, but I made all the appointments at the Glenrose to see if I could drive and finally, I passed the test.” Recently, Gary bought a new blue truck. What created the possibility for Gary? Gary says, “The ongoing help at the Glenrose.  I get Botox to reduce the spasticity in my foot and arm. I exercise at the Steadward Centre, and now I mentor at Networks and the Getting On program.

Gary’s Suggestions for “Putting the Possibility in Stroke Disability” 
  • Don't give up. 
  • Ask other survivors for help.
  • Try new things e.g., Botox reduces the spasticity in my foot and leg so I can walk better.

No comments:

Post a Comment